Dear BVUSD Families and Staff,
Very sadly, in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID 19, Governor Gavin Newsom and State Superintendent Tony Thurmond announced today that school should continue to take place via distance learning rather than on school campuses throughout the remainder of the 2019-20 school year throughout California. We respect the medical science that was considered in making this difficult decision.
We are here for you! Our teachers will be providing quality distance learning activities for your child for as long as this lasts. While we cannot replace a 6 hour school day with your child’s teacher, students will be provided with grade level appropriate work to help them continue to learn, practice, and apply their skills, read, write, and stay connected.
- Teachers will email you the “Learning Calendar” for the following week. This will include links to assignments in Zearn, Google Classroom, and other programs. We know many parents are working from home and we are trying to provide flexibility for when schoolwork can be completed. While the assignments are listed by the day, you are welcome to work on them during the weekend or on days/times that work best for your family.
- Your child’s teacher will email you any other information they want to share with you regarding your child’s specific class. This will include the timing of class meetings and the individual office hours when teachers are available to answer parent emails. Calendars will also be posted on the district website at www.bvusd.org.
- Grade levels teams will list optional enrichment activities for those looking for educational opportunities beyond the assigned work. We also encourage you to look in the Student Portal on the website where many resources are available. https://www.bvusd.org/domain/28
- Please have your child complete the work assigned as best he/she can and keep it in a safe place.
- If you have concerns regarding your child, please share these with your child’s teacher. He/she will reply and may direct you to the resources we have available to you.
Counseling: Please email Jeanette.Wendt@bvusd.org with your child’s name, grade level, your contact information and a brief description of the issue and she will schedule you a phone or zoom appointment.
Tech Support for Borrowed District Computers: Please email the appropriate contact below with the problem and your contact information. You will receive an email scheduling a phone or zoom appointment.
Yulupa: Please email Brittany.Murray@bvusd.org
Strawberry: Please email Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org
iTeam, Fast Lane, and EL Services: For students who participate in iTeam, Fast Lane, or English Learner Services, please email your child’s name, teacher, your contact info, and a brief description of the problem. You will receive an email scheduling a phone or zoom appointment.
Sonoma County Library: Free Tutoring: https://sonomalibrary.org/events/programs/homework-help-at-the-library after you click this link, click the link for tutor.com. All BVUSD students have library cards.
Attached please find tips for creating a manageable home learning environment. The press release from the County Office of Education is also attached in English and Spanish
Thank you for your patience and support as we work hard to make the best of this situation for your child! Stay healthy!
Sue Field, Ed.D., Superintendent